Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Observing Lent...& Not the Belly-Button Kind...

I think I can honestly say that I legalism is not an attribute of mine, however, I do have a desire to become more disciplined in my walk with Christ.  I have only been passionately following Christ for about three years now, so spiritual discipline is a new thing for me.  I was totally challenged by Mark Batterson's blog on lent.  Check it out!  Anyways, I totally feel like giving up TV for lent would be a plus for me.  I'm not choosing to sacrifice TV because Mark did last year, I chose it because in its place I am going to read through the library of books that I own, in addition to the Bible.  Your Bible or another book is doing no good on your shelf.  I have really grown to love reading because of the learning that I experience.  Before I accepted Christ at 23, the only book I had read  cover to cover was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  (You can laugh, I know that is pitiful.)  But now, I am challenged in my walk with Christ through the books that I choose to read.  Do I hold them higher than scripture?  No way!  But I am challenged by the way God uses these authors as vessels to challenge their readers, He has been in that business for a while now.  The authors take different angles and stances on issues, so it intensifies my thought process by reading their books.  Mark says, "Subtraction Plus Addition Equals Multiplication."  You can't go wrong with that.  I need less of myself and more of Him, so I pray that God will show me what He wants me to see during this season of lent.  What are you giving up for lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment