Saturday, January 15, 2011

The TRUTH Hurts...

"It is much more comfortable to depersonalize the poor so we don't feel responsible for the catastrophic human failure that results in someone sleeping on the street while people have spare bedrooms in their homes. We can volunteer in a social program or distribute excess food and clothing through organizations and never have opened up our homes, our beds, our dinner tables. When we get to heaven we will be separated into those sheep and goats Jesus talks about in Matthew 25 base on how we cared for the least among us. I'm not convinced that Jesus is going to say "When I was hungry, you gave me a check to the United Way and they fed me." or when I was naked, you donated clothes to the Salvation Army and they clothed me." Jesus is not seeking distant acts of charity. He seeks concrete acts of love: "you fed me..you visited me in prison..you welcomed me into your home..you clothed me." -Shane Claiborne

No comments:

Post a Comment