Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Mission Impossible?...I Don't Think So...

     The missionary nature of the local church is a very controversial topic among the people in the world today.  The overall view of this topic would range from good to bad depending on where the opinion was coming from.  If you look at the local church as a whole, of course you see each one of them involved in missions in some sort of way.  How do we define missions though?  The Bible defines missions as a task that God has given us to take the gospel to the ends of the earth, so that we can all experience His love to the fullest.  The real question is, “What should that look like, or what does it look like?”  Personally, I think that Christians, as a whole, need to get up off their butts and STEP OUT of the comfortable little Christian box they live in.

     I am writing this blog as a personal opinion on the missionary nature of the local church.  I don’t want this to make me sound like I am self-righteous at all, nor do I think that I have all the right answers.  I try to read scripture and apply it the best I can to my own personal life, because in the end that is the life that I am most responsible for.  The topic of missions in the local church particularly fires me up because I have seen how beneficial serving has been in my own personal life.  The passion that flows from me about this topic is coming from the overflow of God’s work in my life.  The Bible says, “From the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks,” and my heart breaks for this very thing.

     If you took a survey of the local church’s involvement in missions, you would find that almost every one of them is involved in some way.  Their involvement may be in cross-cultural missions, city missions, or international missions.  They may be contributing by sending money, raising money, praying, going on mission trips, or getting physically involved in their communities in various ways.  If you looked at each one of the church’s missionary natures from a biblical standpoint, the facts would be startling.  Personally, I think that most churches leave a lot of things out when it comes to missions.  They pick and choose which aspects to devote time and resources to.  The problem isn’t the church; that was God’s idea.  The problem is people that make up the church.  All of us are guilty of interpreting scripture to suit our comfort levels.  I think it is time to start reading the scripture, truly understanding it, and applying it to our lives in the way it was intended to be applied.

     I personally think that today’s typical Christian is comfortable with their own salvation; thus, their focus is still on themselves.  The cliché description of their relationship with Jesus Christ is summed up with the two words, “Fire Insurance.”  After their initial salvation experience they slowly fall into what I like to call “A Christian Coma.”  Their relationship with Christ becomes centered on not doing certain things, like sin, instead of striving to do things for the kingdom.  I think there is a sense of blindness among many people in the Christian world today.  There are opportunities to serve others, by sharing the gospel or simply loving people right where they are.  This reality hits close to home for me because this is exactly what I experienced after becoming a Christian.  I got in the routine of focusing on attending church, reading my Bible, and praying a certain amount of time a day.  God finally got through to me this summer, when He revealed to me the joy that He brings when I started focusing on Him.  Of course attending church, reading God’s word, and prayer are important for spiritual growth, but when that is your focus you get caught up in that, thus, many Christians are focused on ministering to other Christians.  When your one and only focus is Christ, you realize that the creator of the universe has a purpose for your life, and it changes the way you live your life.  You start praying prayers that you have never prayed, you start taking chances that you have never taken, and God starts using you like you have never been used before.  I started to realize that my salvation wasn’t about me it was for everybody.  Now that I have accepted Christ, He has given me the power to have a HUGE impact on the lives of those around me.  I started to apply that in every way that I could and saw that God had far bigger plans for my life than I had ever imagined.  1 Corinthians 2:9-10 says, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has perceived what God has prepared for those who love him, but God has revealed it to us by His spirit.”  That scripture really came to life to me.  I can walk in the spirit in my everyday life, because God’s Holy Spirit lives within me.  The same power that raised Christ from the grave is given to me with the intention that I use it for God’s glory.  If that doesn’t get you fired up, I don’t know what will.  

     I have been praying for God to break my heart for what breaks His, and to allow me to see every person and every situation through the His eyes.  This prayer has driven me to urban ministries working with the homeless and kids from broken homes etc...  These ministries aren’t the only things that I involve myself in, but I truly think that God is showing me that these things are looked over by many people.  My mission is not to stomp on people’s feet over these things; it is to show others the importance of ministering to these people.  Sure ministering to the least of these involves stepping out of your comfort zone, but that is what God calls us all to do.  When you start to minister to these people God shows you how you can be used in their community and He will break your heart for them.  As you continue to minister to them, God lays a burden on your heart for ANYONE that doesn’t know Him.  When your focus is on Christ you subconsciously pick up your cross daily and follow Him.  You will do things for the kingdom without even thinking about it.  I think living your life in this way is what Jesus was talking about when He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”  The fact is you are making disciples of ALL nations, when your focus is on Christ.  Applying the Great Commission to your life on a daily basis has an impact on others that is unbelievable. 

     The church should dissect scripture to get to the exact meaning of God’s idea for missions.   When that is found, the congregation should disciple every member of its that attends, with the intention to fulfill the Great Commission.  If the church makes disciples of those within, then they will make disciples, thus, making a global impact for Christ.  I don’t claim to have all the answers, and I may come across as pushy or a “know it all,” but I feel that that God has revealed this to me.  I am responsible for my life and the way that I live it, so I intend to be involved in the things that I have mentioned.  I want to live my life to the fullest every day with the direction of the Holy Spirit and if that takes me to the city slums, the African plains, or the trailer park, I plan to be faithful.  Many think that they are unworthy to be used in a mighty way by God.  They think that the dreams they have to make a difference for Christ are just dreams, or impossible missions.  The reality is that if Christ brings you to it, He will bring you through it.  Through the power of Jesus Christ, ANY and ALL missions are possible.          

No comments:

Post a Comment